Saturday, November 06, 2010

Mary on a Saturday

I just read this pair of blogposts.  And I really liked them.  Thought they were beautiful.  Such interesting food for thought.

How Mary brought me back to Jesus, part 1

How Mary brought me back to Jesus, part 2

For the past six years or so I've developed an interest in church history.  Partly because I love history, and partly because I was tired of believing things without understanding WHY.  My study Bible says this passage means such and such, but this other denomination/group/scholar says it means THIS...sheesh.  Whatever you believe, you cannot make the argument that any given passage can't be taken a variety of ways.  And people do.

Anyway.

I read a book, Evangelical is Not Enough: The Worship of God Through Liturgy and Sacrament by Thomas Howard.  And LOVED it.  I cannot recommend it enough.  And it's where I developed a love for and interest in the sacraments and liturgy as a means to worship God.  We joined a church that utilizes both--the first time I belonged to a church that did this.  I wouldn't go back the other way now.  I love the fullness of it.

I also developed a great curiosity about the Roman Catholic Church and the Reformation and the "why's" behind all of that.  I discovered that there is a lot--a LOT--of misinformation out there surrounding all of this stuff.  Including the "hero" Martin Luther.  I guess I'm one of those people who thinks the Reformation wasn't all good.  Some good came of it, but I also believe much was lost, and has yet to be recovered.

So a friend pointed me towards these blogposts yesterday, and I enjoyed reading this woman's perspective.  I'm still not sure how I ultimately feel about the Marian doctrines, but I DO think there is much, much more to Mary the mother of Jesus than I have previously believed.  She was blessed among women, afterall.  Chosen to be Jesus' mother.  That in and of itself is astounding. 

Does anyone else ever think about these things?  I partially blame my husband, because he is the one who got me hooked on Catholic theology.  So yeah, it's all his fault. 

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com