Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Old books

I love, love, love to read. 

I've always loved to read.

And, I've read a lot of books. 

Mostly non-fiction-type books.

I have to tell you though that I really think old books are the very best.

Kevin introduced me to CS Lewis in college.  Via Mere Christianity.   I was regularly ditching taking an 8 am philosophy class at the time where we daily discussed whether frogs have souls, so Lewis was a huge breath of fresh air.  :)  His work definitely shaped my views on faith and God and gave me a lot to think about.

It's funny how quickly authors are pumping out books today.  The contemporary Christian genre is saturated with peoples' thoughts and opinions on pretty much everything.  (More power to the authors for getting published, however!  People are obviously reading the books!)  I have to admit though that I'm starting to think I'm largely done with this stuff--though I'll still probably read it here and there just to stay in the loop.  (I recently read Love Wins, for example.  'Cause all the cool kids were reading it.)

Anyway, I recently found St. Frances de Sales' Introduction to the Devout Life at the thrift store.  Written in, you know, the 16th century.  And so far it is amazing.  Really, quite astounding.  His thoughts are just so rich

So, yeah, old books are awesome.  What are you reading these days?


 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com