Thursday, November 22, 2007

Home (sick) for the holidays

Hope everyone's having a happy Thanksgiving! We're holed up here in the germ-o-sphere that is our home. (Originally had plans to have Thanksgiving with my parents, but had to cancel for obvious reasons.) Kaitlyn came down with our flu yesterday morning but seems to be on the mend. Yosef and Biniam remain healthy--somehow, knock-on-wood. There will be no turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy or pumpkin pie for us today. There WILL be much resting, consuming of jello, and watching more mindless TV.

Honestly I feel really thankful this year...thankful for little Kaitlyn and what I can only describe as the sheer joy she brings to our home. For the way God watches over her, for the way she smiles and plays and is the sweetest little baby in spite of how ill she's been for the last several months.

I'm thankful for my two little boys and that God's plans for their lives included us. I'm really enjoying getting to know Yosef and Biniam better and better and seeing their personalities develop. I'm continually in awe of where they came from and how God has provided for them in spite of what was a very bleak past. They crack me up and I can't wait to see what God has for their futures.

Thankful for my little Anna Beth...is she really coming up on four years old? I feel like we figured out this motherhood/baby thing together--when I found out I was pregnant I'd been just married a year, I excitedly left the Cal Poly campus for good after getting my pregnancy confirmed at the health center, no clue about babies or raising kids but madly in love with the little girl God was giving me. I love her sense of humor, sweet spirit and huge heart.

I'm thankful for my husband Kevin. He's a great man, amazing daddy, and my bestest friend. We have so much fun together and I love how at the end of the day, no matter the vast amount of laundry, dishes, or children :), we're on this adventure together. He keeps me grounded and sane. Probably because he makes me laugh.

I've decided I'm really thankful for hope. When I look at the more difficult things in my life right now, or in others' lives, the one constant is that God is in control and I can put my hope in Him. I won't see all things put right in my lifetime, but eventually they will be.

Anyway, I hope you all have a truly blessed Thanksgiving filled with family, friends, and hope.

13 comments:

Larissa said...

So sorry you don't get to have turkey today. =( I hope you all get well soon. I'm sure you're parents are missing you too.
By the way, I'm really thankful for your friendship. That you and Kevin have been beside us, spuring us on in this journey Jesus calls "The Way".
I wish I could bring you some turkey noodle soup at least. =(
Much love on this Thankgiving.

Jacquelyn said...

Thank you Brianna for the reminder to have hope. With Phillip in Korea and a housefull of family politics and bickering I needed to fix my eyes on something besides me!!

Rachel said...

I read this after emailing you. I hope your Jell-O was yummy!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post. Hope your family feels better soon.

joy said...

brianna, that was beautiful and a good reminder. i was kind of thinking thanksgiving was one of the lamer holidays because we should remember to be thankful all the time. but, my bad attitude is probably due to stupid circumstances that seemed in abundance at our thanksgiving dinner. yes, i too, am glad that God is in control and that He is our hope and our ever-present help in times of need. glad to hear you're feeling better.

Kristen Borland said...

amen, sister.

sorry you guys are sick still. :(

Jeannett said...

So sorry you guys are still sick!!! Can I bring you anything??!! PLEASE call if I can do anything to help!

Brianna Heldt said...

jeannett you're so sweet! i think we'll be okay, kevin went and stocked up on more food last night. we were so blessed to have the newmans bring us wonderful food on wednesday!

anna threw up again last night (we SO thought she was better--she's been fine since last sunday!) so clearly she's still under the weather, and so am i. ugh.

Jeannett said...

That is truly poopy. I'm so sad for you guys. You're like in your own little Santa Maria biosphere of germs.

shell said...

hope you guys are feeling better!!! i think we might FINALLY have pinkeye out of the walatka house!!

Jeannett said...

Okay, I know you've been sick...but seriously. That doesn't mean you can be derilict in your blogging duties!

lindsey said...

i so hope you're all better now! being sick is the pits!

BeckyandTroy said...

Are you guys still sick? Poor things! Seven days and no posting, means you must be deathly ill! Hang in there! You're in our prayers! b

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com