Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Never a dull moment

Sunday after church Troy and Becky asked if we'd like to come over for lunch. I'd hoped to look downtown for some shorts so we decided that Kev and Troy would take our oldest three kids back to the Hawkins' house in our car, and Becky and I would walk downtown with Kaitlyn (in the stroller), and ride back in her car.

Okay so first of all it hit 105 degrees in SLO that day. So HOT. Second of all, neither Gap nor Express had ANY shorts--bummer. SO, we make our way back to Becky's car. Shortly before we reached the car, we ran into Pastor Tim and Eden. Then we got to the car and I went to collapse the stroller...and it wouldn't collapse. I tried and tried but the mechanism was stuck. I am pouring down sweat, Kaitlyn is screaming her head off, and at this point I decide maybe we should just abandon the thing on the sidewalk.


But not Becky! She single-handedly wrestles this thing into the front seat of her four-door car, and somehow manages to climb in herself, with four wheels in her face! I sit (laughing hysterically) in the backseat with Kaitlyn, and we fully drove all the way to their house like that! Good thing Becky is so petite! Troy and Kevin had a good laugh at our expense, and Troy took some pics of the stroller in the front seat of the car. (Fortunately they also figured out what was wrong with it and fixed it.)


I am so glad we ran into Tim and Eden when we did, and not any later--how embarrassing if they'd (or anyone else we knew!) seen us a) unable to collapse the stroller, b) wrestling a big, upright stroller into the front seat of a car, or c) driving down the street with me in the backseat, the stroller in the front seat, and Becky squished into the driver's seat!


12 comments:

Michelle said...

That sounds like my day everyday, ha!

joy said...

totally laughing at the mental picture. i am so sorry it was so hot. i hate sweating and i always sweat in situations like that and i think it makes them 10 times worse. great pic of the stroller in the car. and i'm kinda sad you had to get rid of the town car. are you doing okay?

Brianna Heldt said...

well joy you know i am coping...perhaps i should seek some sort of counseling for dealing with such a devastating loss??? heehee!

Anonymous said...

Ok so this picture doesn't do it justice. I had to take that thing out of the car and it was WEDGED in there. The two front legs of the stroller are fully in the drivers seat...I have no idea how my wife got the thing into "drive" given how wedged the stroller was up against the shifter. Somehow Becky was able to shoehorn herself in there. Good times...

Sugar Plum Invitations said...

I'm laughing so hard!!! It was so hot and so funny all at the same time. Yeah, I can only imagine what Tim would have thought watching me wedged the stroller into the passanger seat!

Brianna Heldt said...

heehee! yeah, how humiliating it all would have been, us two girls attempting to fit this awful thing into the front seat...i think i would probably have avoided eye contact with any familiar faces and just told you to drive away real fast!!!

and troy is right, NO picture could truly do it justice...

Jeannett said...

I can SSOOOOO picture little tiny petite Becky wrestling this full size stroller like a crocodile! She is a trooper though! I too, would have been tempted to just leave the darn thing on the side of the road...maybe have the guys go back to pick it up, but I doubt I would have ever bothered wedging it into the car in that heat! I was totally melting! But like Dori said to me earlier: "Try being in Baghdad in 130 degree heat wearing 80 pounds of gear!"

Larissa said...

Nice! Darin and I laughing out loud! I wish I could have seen that! How in the world did Becky drive with the wheels in her face?!

Kristen Borland said...

ha! this totally sounds like you! love you!

oh the times i've been by myself with the kids unable to get the stupid stroller to collapse, or once collapsed, to fit it into the trunk (esp. the doubles!)!

Kristen Borland said...

of course if you did see some one you knew, maybe they could have collapsed the stroller for you!

Lisa Leonard said...

classic. i love it!

S. said...

My poor mom had this issue in Orlando in August. Finally some kind person figured it out...those strollers can be a challenge!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com