Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Attachment Parenting

As we're still waiting to get our boys, I am thinking more about how things will be once they are here and about how that transition will go. It will be such an adjustment for them and the sooner they are able to bond to us, the better.

I don't know a whole lot about the Attachment Parenting movement. I guess that term was coined by Dr. Sears (who I really like, from the small amount I've heard from him), and I know some of the main tenets are breastfeeding, baby carrying, and co-sleeping. I'd like to learn more; it seems like baby carrying and co-sleeping would be a big help in promoting attachment with these little guys. I looked online and there seems to be no shortage of books on the subject.

SO, my question to anyone out there is, if you have done the attachment parenting thing, what books have been helpful to you? Also since the boys are about one year old (and adopted), are there any attachment parenting books specifically for this type of situation? It would seem that many of the books are either targeted to parents of newborns and focus a lot on nursing, or they are designed for parents of kids with attachment problems (which I don't know that these boys have.) I am wondering too for any adoptive parents if you feel attachment parenting really helped them attach sooner/better, or if anyone out there has any ideas they have used/plan to use. Basically any info from anybody would be appreciated!

2 comments:

owlhaven said...

Brianna, You've read "Attaching In Adoption", right? "Real Parents, Real Children" is also excellent. Both are on Amazon.
Mary

Brianna Heldt said...

Thanks for the info Mary, I haven't read either of those so I will be buying them on Amazon! Thanks so much!
Brianna

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com