Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I've been dared

My friend Jennifer put a dare on her blog saying if eight people blogged their daily schedule, she'd share hers. So I'm going to be really brave, go out on a limb and tell you what my typical day looks like. Prepare NOT to be dazzled...:)

7:30-8--Wake up. No, I don't get up early. And no, I don't feel bad about it! Sometimes I get on the computer right away, though I try not to.
8-9--Get clothes out for the kids, make breakfast (oatmeal and fresh fruit). We don't do cartoons in the mornings unless I'm not feeling well or something.
9-12--Kids play with toys, play outside, color, I'll read to them, etc. I take a shower, spend time on the computer, read a book, read my Bible, or sometimes do housework. :)
12-1--Have lunch (usually PB&J, cheese and veggies)
1-3:30ish--Naptime/quiet time. Kaitlyn and Biniam nap (Katie sleeps in the girls' room, Biniam sleeps in my room), and Anna and Yosef play quietly in the boys' room. During this time I either usually go on the computer, read, or do housework. (What an exciting life I lead!)
3:30-5:30--Kids get up, play, sometimes watch a video. If I haven't showered yet, I do it now.
4:30--Kevin gets home
4:30-5--I start dinner
5:30--Dinner (we all eat together every night at the table. I feel like this is so important in our family.)
6:30--Clean up kitchen, get kids into pjs, bedtime story, every other night is bath night.
7:30--Kids go to bed.
7:30-10:30--Kevin and I hang out. We either play games, read, watch something, chat, etc.
10:30--Bed!

Not every day is like this, but it's generally the way it goes. Other assorted random facts:

--I usually do some sort of laundry every day.

--My kids don't eat a lot of snacks, but they have three square meals a day and if they're hungry in between meals they can have something healthy (usually veggies.) My pet peeve is when they eat such a big snack that they won't eat their next meal.

--Every other Monday morning we go to our church's moms group/bookstudy, sometimes we do playdates, and make the occasional trip to Costco. More often than not though we're home during the day. I'd say my biggest time-waster (surprise, surprise) is the computer. (Blogs, Craigslist, and homeschooling/curriculum sites.) Not all of my time on here is a waste obviously, and there's nothing wrong with doing things for fun, but I DO get sucked in and then regret the way my day has gone...and when I look back, it's because I spent too much time online. Darn.

--This is the last year that our schedule will be so completely open and relaxed, because Anna will start kindergarten in the fall. Mondays she'll attend school all day and the rest of the days will do homeschool. So even though it'll still be somewhat laid back, it will definitely be more purposeful and structured than it is now. I think that will be really good for me, but also a little sad. There's nothing like the carefree life of a toddler!!!

--I don't do structured one-on-one time with my kids very much at this point, because they get random individualized attention all throughout the day. Today, for example, while the big kids played in the snow, Kaitlyn wanted to stay inside. So she sat on my lap and talked to me. She and I generally end up getting a lot of time together.

--Kevin and I instant message each other throughout the day. I love it.

Okay, now it's YOUR turn to do a blogpost about your schedule!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

My day runs pretty smoothly, but I do get wrapped up in myself while the kids are napping. I guess I should be cleaning or something. :)

this is us said...

ah brianna, my "who needs 6am? it's for the birds!" friend!

shell said...

This is so much like my life, with some picking up kids sprinkled here and there! People always say were at the most laidback, yet structured people they know. We love the chaos, but somehow it is quite peaceful. :)

Paige said...

I agree, getting up anytime before 7 is a terrible thought!! If anyone wakes up before then they just get to "talk" to themselves until the clock strikes 7. =)

Tamara said...

I am so glad I am not the only NOT early riser. If I am up at 8am, it is a good day. My kids' bed time is 10pm (they get in bed between 9 and 930 to read)so I can have some quiet time in the morning. Those pre-caffeine hours are more important to me than the evening!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com