Sunday, February 01, 2009

Grandpa Perruzzi's treats

When we were still living in California (and contemplating a move to Colorado) we took a trip out here to visit and check things out. We left our oldest three kids with my parents for the week.

My dad started a tradition that week. Each night before the kids went to bed he came up with a very creative dessert for them, giving it a name and serving it on a fancy tray. Desserts like "Teddy Bear Parade" (vanilla ice cream with 3 teddy grahams on top and some chocolate syrup) and "Rocky Mountain" something-or-other (I don't remember what it was, just that it was a Colorado theme since we were in Colorado.)

Anyway, during our visit to California this Christmas my dad did not disappoint, coming up with a slew of new desserts with fun names. My kids LOVED it, and I seriously think he should publish some sort of recipe book for grandparents where he can share his treat ideas!

I know years from now my kids will still be talking about Grandpa Perruzzi's enthusiasm for fun desserts that he came up with himself just for his grandkids!

Random sidenote: my maiden name is Perruzzi (very Italian.) My married name is Heldt (very German.) Before getting married I felt like people always had a tough time spelling and pronouncing my last name, and once I was a Heldt that would get better. Well, guess what, it's actually WORSE now. NO ONE can spell Heldt, I get mail addressed to "Brianna Heidt", or people call me "Brianna Held", it's hilarious. Apparently Perruzzi was easier after all!

7 comments:

Kevin Heldt said...

My favorite was the one he did with neopolitan ice cream. I can't remember what the rest of the ingredients were -- just that there was some French/Napolean theme and the name was "Napolean Blown-a-part." Winning combination: sweets AND history...

Runner-up: I don't remember the ingredients (I think it involved Rollo's) but I believe it was named Dirty Birdy Desserty Turdy. Classic.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but i frequent your blog so I feel like I know you :0)

I had to comment on the last name thing - My maiden name was Winkleblech and my married name is Ord - I felt like I hit the jackpot, but no. People at least took a stab at the maiden name or just didn't bother but I get everything from Ford, Lord, Ward, etc - more trouble than I EVER had before!

Paige said...

Those desserts look so yummy...although the names are the coolest part of them. What a fun Grandpa!

Joshua and Lydia Rich said...

hey Brianna, my friend Shawn (with little Lidya from Ethiopia) sent me your blog address...she thought we might get along...and from what I have seen of your blog, I think I might agree! We live in Aurora and adopted a toddler girl and baby boy from Ethiopian last August, which means we have three kids under the age of 4! my blog is www.joshuaandlydia.blogspot.com.

Unknown said...

How adorable! I want him for a grandpa! ;) Or...at least some of his desserts!

I feel your pain with the name thing...my maiden name was hard to spell, too, and everyone wants to put a 'c' in our last name now...weird. ;)

Joanie said...

Wow those desserts are great. It's so cute to have to pictures of them, too. :)


I hear you on the name thing, too.

Kristen Borland said...

well brianna (is it held? helt? hee, hee), i would certainly buy that cookbook for my parents if your dad ever gets the notion to publish. that sound so fun and so special. and you can totally tell he's a teacher!

oh, and here's a question for ya. i saw a little blond mommy with her cute blond little girl and an adorable little black baby at target. she seemed quite friendly. i wanted to ask her if he was adopted, mainly because we are of course very interested in everyone's adoption story. i opted not to ask because i didn't know the best way to ask. what would you suggest?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com