Thursday, February 05, 2009

Sister sister

One of the best things about having four kids this close in age is getting to see the relationships God is building among them. Anna's three years older than Kaitlyn, but they are so incredibly close. All four of my kids play together all.day.long, and the older three have ALWAYS joyfully included their little sister.

Sometimes a small part of me wonders what on earth my kids will think about the fact that they have so many siblings so close in age to them. (I'm an only child, so I don't know anything about having siblings.) But then I'm reminded of these sweet, special times and realize that my kids adore each other and what an amazing gift a sibling is.

We are HUGE believers in NOT forcing relationships. I don't make my kids play together, and I don't put any pressure/expectations on them in terms of spending time together or being close. We of course have a rule that they need to be kind, but other than that, they are free to do whatever. Amazingly, they all love each other SO MUCH.
Over the past couple of months I've gotten some pictures of Anna and Kaitlyn in action. I know they're three years apart, and that is a decent age difference, but I do hope they remain close. Really my prayer is that my kids are always close with one another, and that they continue to be some of each other's best friends!


Anna LOVES getting Kaitlyn ready for bed. Here she is, putting Kaitlyn's pjs on.



Anna doing Kaitlyn's hair.



Kaitlyn sharing her cookie with Anna.


Hanging out after lunch.

9 comments:

Christy said...

My sister is 8 years younger and I remember playing house with her...(slightly embarassing to admit) but I'm sure it was summer and what else is there for a "big kid" to do but be adored by a younger sibiling? Very cute how they love each other so!

Tamara said...

Karen and I are 3 years apart and we were always pretty close. THe only gap was when I joined the Navy after highschool and missed most of her highschool years.

darci said...

what a precious relationship. :) my two older girls are about that far apart in age, as well, and i have loved seeing their relationship-

jenny said...

I LOVE my sisters as well. I am 2.5 years younger than Kate and Betsy is 15 mos. younger than I am, but we are so close! Your girls will be BFF!!

Rachel said...

It makes me sad to think about Aubrey being off to college and Ainsley being without her big sister. A lot can change in 15 years, but still!

joy said...

The girls are starting to look so much alike. How very beautiful to see the sister bonds so strong already.

Kristen Borland said...

wow, they look alike!

yes, i think having them close together naturally creates a special bond. i see that with our kids too. plus i think if the parents are openly loving and affectionate to the kids, the kids pick up on that toward each other.

Shonni said...

I have had the chance to see both at work...my first 3 were 3-4 years apart because of high risk pregnancies; and from Caresse (the 3rd child) onward, all of the other 7 are VERY close in age. I have seen that the older children have a good relationship with each other, but it IS different. At times, I know the age difference make them feel "alone", because there was no one close to them in age. I don't think the younger ones will ever feel that because they are so close in age and always have each other, to play with, sleep with, bandage a boo-boo, etc. I like the closeness I see in the younger ones...they just always have each other for good or bad and I have seen how precious that is (though, some times having 4 children under four is VERY trying for mommy)!

shell said...

and this is exactly why i NEED to adopt a girl.......

:)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com