Thursday, April 19, 2007

Started a new book

Just started reading Phillip Yancey's "What's So Amazing About Grace?", and trying to get into a good routine of time spent with God. I'm really undisciplined and not so good with randomly opening up the Bible each day, I do better with some sort of additional reading material to help guide me, but am not generally into "devotionals" as such where you fill in the blanks and stuff. I love, however, reading thought provoking books by authors I enjoy so I thought I'd pair a book with some Bible reading. So far I'm loving this book (read it years ago but wasn't too into it at the time, what was I thinking?)

What kind of things do you enjoy reading about God? Any good books/movies/music lately that really inspired, challenged or encouraged you?

6 comments:

Renee said...

Grace Walk by Steve McVey
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala
And (of course)
Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss

Larissa said...

Darin and I finally watched "The End of the Spear". Amazing. Part of me longs to live like that and part of me feels like I could never be that sacrificial.

Brianna Heldt said...

Renee I'll have to look into those books!

Lara we have STILL not watched that but are really anxious to! I read "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" last year and yeah, pretty remarkable.

erika said...

I just recently began reading "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers each day, and I can't stop quoting it. I've known about the book forever but just picked it up again because it was recommended to me by Sue Donaldson. It has GREAT thought provoking SHORT messages for each day of the year. This has been a life saver for me because it's hard to carve out consistent time with little kids.

erika said...

Oh, and my kids and I were rocking out today to the soundtrack of "The Preachers Wife," a Whitney Houston CD from a while back.. I know you all think I'm totally cool. But there was a reason I took it out, and I LOVE gospel choir music. You can't not dance and sing when you hear a good gospel choir. Gospel Music covers a multitude of sins!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brianna-
I'm a friend of Mike and Rachels and have really enjoyed checking in on your blog.....Thanks for sharing so much. I had to post about an author I love. Brennan Manning. I have read many of his books and seen him speak. Ruthless Trust, Abba's Child, Ragamuffin Gospel, Relentless Tenderness of the Lamb, etc. They are wonderfully thought provoking, challenging and encouraging. I'm currently reading Ruthless Trust again because so often I lose what I've read after awhile!
Kelly Brown

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com