Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blood Diamond

Kevin and I just rented this movie (gotta love the Monday $1 new release rentals at Albertsons!) It was excellent, disturbing, heart warming, depressing, well-done and appalling, all at the same time. If you haven't heard of it, it's a story that takes place during Sierra Leone's 1990 civil war, and is about conflict diamonds. The story follows a black African fisherman and a white African diamond smuggler.

The most disturbing aspect of the movie was by far the child soldiers. There's something like 200,000 child soldiers in Africa right now. Rebel groups will abduct children, abuse and essentially brainwash them, hand them a machine gun and force them to kill.

Anyway I'd encourage everyone to see the movie and if you are interested in more information about conflict diamonds, you can check out this website. A sad world we live in to be sure, and hopefully more films like this can be made so that people like you and me can know how to pray and how to help!

8 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

i wasn't brave enough to see that movie, but now maybe i will. my heart aches for all the children in this world who deserve a better life.

Shana said...

We typically have a "no R-rated" rule at our house, but we do make exceptions for some movies. We have been pondering whether to make an exception for this movie. We might just have to do so!

Kate said...

We have the same type of 'rule' in our home also, but since you think its a good one...we may just give it a try! :) thanks for the suggestion Brianna.

Brianna Heldt said...

FYI, the movie has a bit of violence (obviously) and some bad language (but no sensuality.) But that's the reality in much of Africa.

the ewings said...

If you are interested in reading a good but hard read about child soldiers try A Long Way Gone by Ishmael B???? can't remember his last name. Good book but very graphic at times. Very eye opening!

Rachel said...

Mike and I just saw this movie last week and I actually thought about emailing you about it, as it seemed like something you would want to see. It was heart breaking, mainly because it isn't a pure work of fiction. We also saw the Pursuit of Happyness. Always nice to watch sad movies over the weekend. We are choosing something more uplifting for this weekend.

Brianna Heldt said...

the ewings, thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to see if I can get that through the library!

Rachel I'm with you, after seeing a sad movie or two in a row it's great to watch something that just plain makes you laugh, or where you don't have to think too hard! We saw something about a month ago called "Freedom Land" that was seriously really depressing; it left me with such a yucky feeling!

Angel said...

OH MY WORD! That movie made me want to sell my ring. I was so disturbed. I did settle down and keep my ring. hee hee... BUT I don't think I need anymore diamonds in my life! :0) It is a must see movie in my opinion. Angel

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com