Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Wednesday

I am really enjoying this warm weather. Today I got most of my housework done in the morning and then the kids and I spent a long time outside. Anna has one of those Red Flyer tricycles from her Grandma and Grandpa Heldt that she and the boys like to play on. We did that for awhile, had granola bars for a snack and then came inside for "Bible time".

I've started doing this each day with the kids and am really excited about it. We all sit down on the floor and read a Bible story out of a children's Bible, sing a couple of Sunday School songs, and pray. Today we read about Jesus healing Bartamaeus, sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "Deep and Wide", and prayed about different things (the kids we sponsor, Yosef and Biniam's first mommy, Kaitlyn's foot, Daddy at work). I asked Anna if there was anything else she wanted to pray about (she'd initiated praying for the foot) and she said, "Andy!" So Mr. Gibson, you were prayed for today.

Then later the kids helped me make chocolate chip cookies for Growth Group tonight (sorry, I know we had cookies last week! Oh and don't worry, the kids didn't directly touch any of it. :) ) They really enjoyed getting to dump the ingredients into the mixing bowl, and of course got to have a little dough as well. (Saving the mixing bowl and beater for Daddy of course!)

It can be really hard being a "purposeful" parent sometimes--I find myself so drained of energy that I don't always make time to do purposeful, structured stuff with my kids. Which stinks because when I do, I so enjoy it!

Looking forward to seeing the Gibsons and Hawkins' tonight. (What are some fun purposeful things you do with your kids????)

13 comments:

Kevin Heldt said...

Looks like fun you guys! Maybe you can reprise the events in a Saturday edition for Daddy's benefit. And I can't get home fast enough! -- I can almost taste the dough...

andy gibson said...

Awesome, no wonder my day went so well.

Lisa Leonard said...

granola bars and cookies? are you trying to kill? me mouth is watering :) sounds like fun. i love the bible time idea. simple, things that a few minutes can be SO meaningful!

Jeannett said...

Very impressed with your very purposeful day. So bummed I didn't end up making it...it's been FOREVER since I've been! If it's not a meeting, I'm dying of some mysterious illness.

Brianna Heldt said...

Jeannett I know!! You are like a phantom group member or something. Shoot, maybe by the time you make it back, you'll have your baby in tow!

Allison Brown said...

Fun day Brianna! It was raining here yesterday, so we just stayed inside and played. I'm kind of looking forward to when Kaylin is a bit older so that we can make cookies, or color, play outside and such. (I know when the time comes though, I'll say I miss her being younger.) And I love your Bible time idea, I might just have to make that a part of our day as well. Very cute pictures too!

Samantha said...

We have a Bible reading time too. I usually read 3 or so chapters from the New Testament and then we work on memorizing a chapter or verse or practice one we have already memorized. We have started singing a few Psalms as well (we have a CD to sing to). I want to be better about doing some craft time with the kids. They love to cut and glue and do creative things with learning their numbers and letters, but I have yet to be good about doing this.

Rachel said...

Mike and Aubrey empty the dishwasher together in the evenings. I haven't tried that one, too much stress with all the glass being taken across the kitchen by a 23 month old.

Aubrey and I played basketball after lunch today... does that count? I plan on doing outside crafts with Aubrey this summer once we get our days figured out. Have you ever finger painted on wax paper with pudding. So fun, I can't wait to do it with my own kiddo!

Kate said...

God bless you Brianna. I love your heart. When we do "Family Worship" (which is what we call it) Suzannah has a really hard time sitting still so we've been feeling discouraged. But its good to know that someone else is out there doing it and being successful. We'll keep working at it...I hope she'll grow to love that time.

Jeannett said...

Careful Brianna...I might just have to recruit you to be a Sunday School teacher here pretty soon!

Brianna Heldt said...

Rachel basketball totally counts, fun! Fingerpainting with pudding also sounds interesting (and messy and yummy, so right up my kids' alley.)

Samantha, that is great that you guys have that routine down! Craft time sounds great, but can be so messy, I totally understand. We don't really do crafts together yet, except coloring.

Kate, don't be discouraged! A child's attention span is short, and whether they sit quietly for ten minutes is not much of a guage of how "good" they are. My hope with our new Bible time is that it will grow in them a concern for others (through the prayer), that they'll learn to sit and pay attention, and that they'll pick up some great Bible stories and ultimately fall in love with the Lord. (Not only that, but this guarantees that I'M spending time with God. I'm horrible about carving out time to pray for others, but I can do it with my kids).

Jeannett, heehee, maybe someday...

Anonymous said...

I love checking in on your family. They are so wonderful. When Max is a little older I am going to incorporate your bible study for kids -- it sounds like a great interactive way to get them started on their Christian walk.

The H Land said...

I have been collecting some really cute and educational child-appropriate Christian resources for a few years, but my journey into parenthood is probably a good 3-5 years away. I am eager to share my love of the Lord with my future kiddos!

-Angela

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com