Monday, July 30, 2007

More Kaitlyn medical stuff

Today was "one of those days." I took Kaitlyn back to the doctor because her rash was not improving to my liking. We ended up seeing a different doctor than the one who'd diagnosed her rash as a yeast infection (neither doctor being our regular pediatrician). He took one look today and pronounced it a BACTERIAL infection (most likely strep, not staph). He also found some infection on her big toe, on the opposite foot than the one that had initially been infected (which could mean that her prior infection never actually went away). He prescribed some topical and oral medications and we had a really thorough visit with him.

THEN he said this is very unusual and if she gets another infection, we'll have to travel to a children's hospital and have a complex workup done on her, to test and see why her immune system is not working properly. The thought of my sweet little baby having some sort of compromised immune system is not really the greatest.

Anyway, she'll be on antibiotics (both oral and topical) for the next 10 days. Unfortunately this will be a little complicated with our trip to Colorado (the oral meds have to be refrigerated) but we'll make it work.

Being a mom can be hard. But I can see that God has taught me some things over the last few years--I've spent time with a roomful of HIV-positive children, dealt with developmental delay, infections, parasites, and lice with my own four kids...lots of doctor's visits, some misdiagnoses, learning how to be my childrens' advocate. Having my eyes further opened to what makes a life valuable. I have faith that God is using these experiences to shape me into the woman He wants me to be--it is a long road!

(Meanwhile sweet Kaitlyn is full of smiles and laughter. What a true joy she is!!!! Kevin will be home in awhile with a pizza and I'm hoping to get some things done around the house tonight. Today was not quite as productive as I'd hoped, but I DID get one of our cars smogged, and that must count for SOMETHING!)

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww, we'll be praying for little Kaitlyn. It's so hard to not know what the future holds, especially for one of your sweet little ones. Strep specifically is aparently really rare in children under three, at least the throat kind...i'm not that medical when it comes to that stuff, I just found that out last week since I had it and thought maybe matthew did too. Anyway, not that that helps you any, but we'll for sure be praying for your family! Hang in there:).

Brenda Williams said...

How stressful! I'll be praying that Kaitlyn heals completely and has no further flare-ups. And that you guys have a great relaxing time in Colorado!

The H Land said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larissa said...

Brianna - I have one of those little fridges that plug into the cigarette lighter in your car. You guys can have it for your trip if you want. When do you leave?

Kristen Borland said...

getting your car smogged with kids aroudn is HUGE! so way to go on a productive day.

i'm soo glad to hear you got a proper diagnosis for poor katie jane (love that she's so happy despite it all). i truly hope there's nothing wrong with her immune system. please keep us all updated and we will be praying.

Brianna Heldt said...

lara we leave on thursday, and we'll be in slo wednesday for grace summer nights--will you see your mom before then?? if so you could pass it off to her and we could pick it up wed. night or something?

kristen, kevin worked from home yesterday so really it was just me and kaitlyn getting the car smogged...i know, not quite as impressive! :)

Brianna Heldt said...

okay lara it just occurred to me that you probably wouldn't see your mom today and that she'd be back in slo by tomorrow. :)

Larissa said...

My mom is coming to Fresno tomorrow to drop off Caedra. I'm not sure what time they'll be back in SLO. I'll send the little fridge home with her and if they are home before you get done with the Grace family nights thing you can go pick it up. I'll call you to work out details. I hope you have a safe trip!

Brianna Heldt said...

thanks lara!!! also my parents are coming down to our house thursday morning to stay with the kids, so they could also drop by and pick it up from your mom. seriously i soooooooo appreciate you letting us use it!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com