Friday, April 24, 2009

Well THAT made me cry


So even though I shed nary a tear during the movie I watched Wednesday, there was definitely some cry-age during the documentary we caught on PBS last night.

I've mentioned Catherine Hamlin's book Hospital By the River before. But I had never seen the film. There is an award-winning documentary, A Walk to Beautiful, and it re-aired on PBS' Nova last night. Oh.my.goodness. After having read the book, it was amazing to see the actual women at the hospital, to see hope and dignity restored to them. Watch the movie if you ever get the chance. Read the book. You won't be disappointed. (You MAY however want to immediately book a flight to Ethiopia to go adopt some of the waiting children in the orphanage. Even if you're nearly 16 weeks pregnant. With four other children at home. Just sayin'.)

Turns out there's an 84 minute, full-length version of the documentary that I'd love to get, and maybe get some people together to watch it. Wouldn't it be amazing to have some sort of group that regularly met to, say, watch a film like this, pray about/discuss the issue, and then do something physical and tangible for the cause?

So many problems that deserve our attention. Nobody can save the world single-handedly. BUT I think any time a story is told and we become a little more aware, and our hearts open to a particular group of people, somehow that is a small victory, a small part of God restoring our world. Especially when that heart change leads to giving sacrificially of our time, money, prayers or talents.

I've said it before but Catherine Hamlin and her late husband are true heroes. Really. When I read about/watch stuff like this I am tangibly reminded that I don't want anything to do with a "safe", conventional life. I don't care if our little (big) family gets stared at in the grocery store or if people think we're weird or we never have/do X because we want to spend our money and lives a different way. Really. Sometimes I forget, but seeing a documentary like this makes me remember.

7 comments:

Shonni said...

I was really moved by the book and will need to look into this docum. Thank you for sharing!

JaneeNoel said...

I loved the documentary too. If I was still in Denver I'd love to join a group like you describe. What a great idea. I wonder if anyone here would be interested in something like that.

Kristen said...

Sounds like a wonderful doc. I just added it to my Netflix queue...and for you other Netflix members out there, it's also available to watch instantly. Yessssss!

Mama Mote said...

Hey, I think you are living and doing just what God planned for you. You and your brood are a beautiful family and a great testimony for what can be done in the world to help others. I guess I have to get the book and watch the film. I don't read much these days, so this might be a good start...even if it makes me cry.

joy said...

That sounds like an amazing documentary and I really want to see it and read the book. thanks for highlighting it.

Larissa said...

Amen to your last paragraph!
Love you.

Unknown said...

Just added this to our Netflix que. Hoping that Ethiopia is in our near future.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com