Monday, April 04, 2011

Chocolate Kahlua Trifle

Ready for some Monday yummies?

This delightful trifle is one of my go-to recipes.  From my mom.  (I'm no food photog, so no judging people.)


If you invite me over, and ask me to bring a dessert, I may just show up with this.  (And my five kids.)



I love this dessert because it serves a crowd, it looks pretty, and it's SO EASY!!!  (I told you it serves a crowd--it won't all fit in my trifle bowl!  Which is great because then you get to keep the rest at home, for yourself.  Shhhh.  I won't tell if you don't.)


Ingredients:

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup Kahlua
2 small packages instant chocolate pudding mix
1 large tub thawed Cool Whip
6 Heath candy bars, chopped


1.)  Prepare pudding according to package directions.

2.)  Prepare cake mix and bake in bundt pan.  Cool for 20 minutes.

3.)  Poke holes in cake with handle of a wooden spoon and pour Kahlua over cake.

4.)  In a glass trifle dish, layer as follows:

                                   1/3 of the cake, crumbled
                                   1/2 of the pudding
                                   1/3 of the Cool Whip
                                   1/3 of the chopped Heath bars

5.)  Repeat this procedure two times.  (If you run out of room, assemble the final layers in a seperate bowl like I did.  Just make sure that you end with Cool Whip and Heath bar, so the top looks pretty!)

6.)  Chill for at least 2-3 hours.  (The longer the better, really, and the beautiful thing is you can totally prep this ahead of time.)


There are so.many.different. variations you can try.  Want to bake the cake from scratch, and use real whipping cream?  Sub out the Heath bar for some other sort of confectionary delight or cookie?  Use peppermint liquer instead of the Kahlua, and use crushed up peppermints for the candy? 

Okay, now I need want some.  Bad.

Maybe you'll share that extra bowl with me...pretty please?



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com