Friday, April 15, 2011

When all else fails...clean!

I have this love-hate relationship with naps.

And as a result, I rarely take them.

Wednesday, though, I was feeling so crummy because of my cold, and I wasn't being productive anyway, so I took me a two-hour siesta.

While it felt great to get some extra shut-eye, and I woke up feeling maybe a LITTLE better, I'm not sure I was any more capable of getting my work done.  So the nap was pretty much just a waste of time.

Bah.

Add to that the fact that avoidance has long been my defense mechanism of choice.  I wish that it wasn't.  But if I get overwhelmed, I tend to want to just curl up in a ball and shut everything out.

Which is a real shame, because stuff doesn't really get done that way!

Still, that's my go-to and it has been for some time.  Doesn't seem to be changing either. 

Do you take naps?  Do you resort to avoidance?  Are you neurotic like me?  Tell me I'm not alone!  :)

In the midst of overwhelmed-ness (of course that's a word!), there ARE a few pick-me-ups I have.  Jobs or things that make me feel better and productive and like life is manageable.  One of those is a clean kitchen.  I'll wipe down my counters with a soapy sponge, then clean them with Mrs. Meyers countertop spray (I'm loving the Lemon Verbena scent right now.)  Then I'll clean off my stovetop, then I'll give my sink some attention, and THEN I head for the fridge.

Yes, the fridge.

I LOVE a clean fridge. 

It is so, so worth the effort.  Knowing exactly where everything is, gleaming shelves, and the groceries look so much nicer.  Even cooking for seven people somehow feels like less of a chore.

Do you have a go-to activity that suddenly makes you feel as if your day went well, that it wasn't spent in vain, and that life is beautiful?  :)  What is it?

(Note that I was NOT compensated in any way for this post.  I just really love me some Mrs. Meyers.  But if Mrs. Meyers herself is reading this, do feel free to send me some free product.  A lifetime supply perhaps?  Because I'm not OPPOSED to being compensated!)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com