Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Cali getaway



Like I mentioned before, I just got back Sunday night from my dad's surprise retirement party out in California.  Some former students of his were so sweet and put the whole thing together.  I lied and told him I was coming to use up some frequent flyer miles.  That photo above is a sampling of some good ol' Creston Elementary alumni and a few staff too.  (I'm the one in the yellow sweater in an awkward pose, and my dad's in the back wearing a white shirt and baseball cap.)  Lots of former parents, students and staff showed up to send my dad off.  Fun!




The trip was short, but sweet.  I was able to have dinner with some girlfriends Wednesday night (after dear Becky picked me up down in Santa Barbara, with her dear daughter Emma--that's her and Mary Lu in the backseat.  Oh and Becky packed snacks for Mary and everything.  How wonderful is she?!)  Sadly I have no pictures of our girls' night.  Why didn't I pull out my camera?!




Friday afternoon was the big surprise retirement bash.  It's so funny visiting people you haven't seen in, oh, 20 years.  Especially when the bus driver vividly remembers you puking on her bus on a field trip as a five year old.  :)  And Mary obviously had a blast--can't you tell?



Saturday night my BFF--we were inseperable from the time I was 8 years old--picked me up and we went out to dinner at Creston's steakhouse restaurant, The Loading Chute.  Yum!  It's the first time we've been out childless together in years.  SO wonderful to catch up and, let's face it, laugh hysterically about the past.  Because we did some funny things.  And knew some funny people.  Sadly, I have no photo of our evening together, either.  (What is my deal?  I think I end up having too much fun with my girlfriends to be bothered with taking photos.  But then I regret it later.)




Santa Barbara has to be one of the most beautiful places to fly into and out of.  The ocean, the mountains, the Spanish-style architecture...so, so pretty.  We lived there the first year we were married and going back always reminds me of being a newlywed, not having any friends in town, and of how, um, I'd spend most days reading and laying out by the pool.  Those days are LONG GONE!  :)



And, if I'm honest, I wouldn't go back, even if I could.



Because even though I didn't get to hang out by the pool when I was in Santa Barbara this past Sunday, I DID get to sit in the sunshine with this little bug.  How cute is she???

So yes, a fabulous trip and I was, as always, terribly sad to leave.  It's always a blessing to see old friends and to realize that no matter the distance or time that passes, friends will always be friends, and family will always be family.  That being said, I sure did miss my kiddos and husband at home--it's good to be back in Denver, too!


 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com