Friday, May 19, 2006

100 things

Well this is my 100th post, and they say you're supposed to post 100 things about yourself on your 100th post. SO, here they are, for those who have the time or interest to read them, in no particular order:

1. I'm an only child.
2. I hate when people assume things about me based on that.
3. My hometown where I grew up has a population of 200.
4. Most the people in my hometown are ranchers/cowboys.
5. My family was not either of those things.
6. My best friend and I have been friends for 17 years.
7. I was our 4-H club President.
8. I was our FFA Vice President.
9. We saw a dead beached whale at Pismo Beach in high school.
10. The only organized team sport I ever played was T-Ball.
11. I'm not athletic at all.
12. I hate watching sports of any kind.
13. I always wanted to be a marriage/family therapist when I grew up.
14. I am an at-home mom.
15. I love being a mom.
16. I have three kids.
17. Two are from Ethiopia.
18. I got married when I was only 20.
19. I found out I was pregnant on our one-year wedding anniversary.
20. That's why I didn't finish college.
21. My labor with Anna was only 6 hours.
22. It really hurt.
23. I gained a whopping 36 pounds when I was pregnant.
24. I love being married young.
25. I don't like pets.
26. We don't have any.
27. I love the East Coast.
28. I love all four seasons.
29. Someday I want to be involved in relief work/missions of some kind in Ethiopia.
30. I would love to have a non-profit organization someday to help Africa.
31. I love eating out.
32. I love to read.
33. I own almost the entire Babsitters Club series from when I was little.
34. I never get bored.
35. I've never been drunk.
36. I've never taken drugs.
37. I love midori sours.
38. I love the Gap.
39. I love Target.
40. I hate grocery shopping.
41. But I love having lots of food in the house.
42. I've never broken a bone.
43. I'm not a morning person.
44. I have a myspace profile.
45. That is really, really embarrassing.
46. I drive a car from 1988.
47. That is also really, really embarrassing.
48. I waste a lot of time online.
49. We don't really watch TV.
50. I don't like the town we live in.
51. We will probably move sometime in the next few years.
52. I don't know where we'll move.
53. It probably will not be in California.
54. I like hanging out with my parents.
55. I love quiet evenings at home with Kevin.
56. I like going to concerts.
57. The last one I went to was Tom Petty.
58. He is awesome.
59. I love Seinfeld.
60. My favorite Seinfeld quote is "People...they're the worst!"
61. I've never eaten spam.
62. I never will.
63. I never really liked babysitting.
64. But I want a lot of kids.
65. I love a good old fashioned BBQ.
66. I love fancy gourmet food.
67. I love winter clothes like coats, sweaters, scarves, and gloves.
68. It rarely gets cold enough here to wear them.
69. I hate wearing a bathing suit.
70. I love having a tan.
71. I like the beach but not the way the sand gets everywhere.
72. We live about 15 minutes from the beach.
73. We rarely go.
74. I am a nervous flyer.
75. I once had to have someone arrested for making terrorist threats when I worked for a California assemblyman.
76. There was a big standoff and it took a SWAT team to bring him in.
77. He now lives in Nevada, thank goodness.
78. I have worked (briefly) as a telemarketer.
79. I have worked (also briefly) at Taco Bell.
80. I have worked at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.
81. I think I have changed a lot in the last year and a half.
82. Hopefully it's for the better.
83. I shook George W. Bush's hand once.
84. I am a total klutz.
85. I love to laugh.
86. I've been to Ethiopia.
87. I can't wait to go back.
88. I met my husband in our church's college group.
89. The first time we spent any time together was when we ran into each other at a (free) Weird Al concert.
90. I love that Weird Al movie UHF.
91. My husband proposed on the beach in Cambria.
92. Someday I'd like to go to Jamaica.
93. I love "fair food" like corndogs, fresh lemonade, and funnelcake.
94. I was outside the courthouse with my daughter Anna when the Michael Jackson verdict was read.
95. I know I am such a dork but we were already out and heard on the radio they were about to announce it, so we cruised by.
96. On my way to the courthouse, as I drove down Main Street, I noticed people with signs lining the street, running up and down the sidewalk shouting, and helicopters circling.
97. I looked in my rearview mirror to discover that the whole way down the street I was right in front of the Michael Jackson motorcade!
98. Someone I know saw my car on the news!
99. I am very, very easily amused (as you can see.)
100. I love Jesus and I'm a sinner and through His grace and mercy I am saved!

19 comments:

Shana said...

Fun tidbits! You should move to Idaho. :)

shell said...

no no out east!!! we will fight for you! :) i am almost to my 100th post too!!

Jeannett said...

#s 94-98 are really just one really long one. So, you'll have to come up with 3 more. Well, that's what I think anyway. :0)

Jeannett said...

Just posting over here on this blog...nice and fun and no controversy with Roy. The other blog is getting pretty hot and heavy!!!

Brianna Heldt said...

Jeannett, hot and heavy is right! I think it's hilarious that Andy and Kev posted at the same time! (Our growth group of radicals is sooooo getting excommunicated!)

grodgers, if I'm ever in Oklahoma I'll have to take you up on that fried spam offer! I don't think they eat that here in California! :) I've really enjoyed reading Michael's blog, especially seeing all the pictures lately. What a life-changing experience, I am sure.

Rachel said...

I may have to comment several times on this post because I have so much to say and know I will forget.

1. I was once forced to eat Spam while sleeping over at a friend's house. I cried.

2. Colorado lends itself wonderfully to all thise winter clothes you were talking about. We have seasons too. Our fall is not as colorful as the East Coast from what I hear, but it's the prettiest thing I have ever seen.

3. Jamaica was one of our ports on our cruise. You could not pay me to go back. the whole place smelled like marajuana, we had to go through a metal detector to get in the shopping village, and a family at the table next to us on the ship was robbed at knife point while there. I guess if it was going to be very resortish and I was NEVER goign to leave the resort and someone else was paying, then maybe.

4. You were outside the courthouse! Brianna, I'm shocked.

Now I have to reread and see if I'm done

Rachel said...

I think I covered it!

Brianna Heldt said...

Rachel,
Ah yes, the "ganja" as the Rastafarians call it...I can only imagine that the whole place smelled like that (reminds me of the Tom Petty concert I went to...) Apparently it is a huge crop there. Robbed at knifepoint, that is scary. Was it at least a neat cultural place? (Mostly why I would want to go.)

And Jeannett, wasn't Jamaica where you went on your honeymoon?

Jeannett said...

Yes, it was. My experience was completely different...NEVER even smelled the stuff...turns out that the gvt. had just recently made the sale and smoking of marijuana illegal...which is an interesting cultural turning point (as explained to me by a local): Jamaica doesn't have much in the way of export or commerce. Tourism and Pot, that's about it. Jamaicans made a TON of money selling the stuff to tourists, and in their culture, you don't borrow money from banks, you build the house as you have the money. So, you'll see a ton of half finished homes on the sides of the hillsides. Homes that didn't get finished because of the new law. The new law subsequently, only amplified the poverty/crime in the country (since, unless you worked on a resort, you pretty much had nothing else to do to make money). We never left the resort because of the huge crime problem (especially against "wealthy" white tourists). But, one of our most vivid memories of the trip were the BEAUTIFUL and joyful people of Jamaica. I've never met more amazing and truly happy people in my life. Then again, those were the people who had steady jobs from the resorts...a job that one woman said she treasured and would NEVER do anything to forfeit. So, that was my experience. Loved it, can't wait to go back.

I'd suggest people go, but stay on one of those all-inclusive resorts...believe it or not, they aren't super "Americanized". They are comfortable, but the Jamaican culture breathes through it still, untainted by the desparation that comes with poverty. If someone visited Detroit and left saying they would never go back to America, that's a bit unfair.

And take a snorkeling trip! Unreal.

Brianna Heldt said...

Thanks for the post Jeannett. Yeah I do hope to go someday. It is surprising that they would outlaw marijauna there--though I think I may have read something that said it had to do with some sort of agreement with the US. It is a big part of the Rasta lifestyle, and like you said that's where they make (well made) a lot of their money.

I also find it interesting that in some countries, poverty seems to lead to violent crime, and in others, it doesn't, or at least not as much. Ethiopia for example, I guess violent crime in Addis Ababa (the capital) is extremely rare, and worst-case sounds like there's a bit of pick-pocketing. We asked somebody why and they said people there are too terrified of their gov't.

Very cool that you loved the "locals" so much--I am continually amazed by the fact that some of the world's most joyful people seem to live in some of the poorest places in the world. I love seeing other cultures and Jamaica just sounds like a neat place to go. I would want to visit places besides the resort, but not if it was that dangerous. Cool that not all the resorts are totally "Americanized"...it'd be a bummer to visit somewhere and be so sheltered that you could technically just be in America still.

What made you crazy kids choose Jamaica? :) Where do you hope to go next? Anybody else, where do you want to visit? Cool places you've visited?

Jeannett said...

Our honeymoon was a gift from Andy's very generous aunt/uncle. So, we figured we would do something different than the "usual" Hawaii...turns out that Jamaica is the "usual" for the east coast.

I just hope to get some time off from work next! Although an Alaskan Cruise would be awesome...

Dawn said...

I am not a fan of Santa Maria either. I lived in Santa Barbara for 9 years. We moved and now reside in the Midwest--a great place to raise a family.

Rachel said...

I'd agree with the stay at the resort comment. I did not have a pleasant stay the day we docked as I mentioned earlier. I had an extreme sense of being unsafe. I usually always feel safe unless I am in a public restroom and teh feeling made me very uncomfortable.

We also had a pastor who went to Jamaica for their honeymoon and decided to leave the resort for an outing. An "employee" off shift met them in the parking lot and offered to give them a ride into the city. He turned out not to be an employee, or at least not anymore, and happened to have the uniform. He drove them down a secluded road and robbed them, wedding rings and all. Now when ever they are in a situation that doesn't feel right they use the code word "Doesn't this remond you of Jamaica?"

Mike and I would also like to take an Alaskan Cruise, we loved Hawaii and The Grand Caymans (even though I got stung by a HUGE stingray!) Cancun was okay, but it was an all inclusive resort too and we realized that is kinda boring for us. We like to go on outings and explore and felt stuck at the pool. We did go on a few excursions while we were there, but they were tour buses from our hotel. I think I prefer renting a car and exploring on my own.

Currently we would be happy with a trip to just aboout anywhere, but it will probably be US soil for the time being-and most likely California to visit you guys!

Jeannett said...

BTW, Mrs. Heldt...where exactly IS this myspace page you mention? I have tried to find it, to no avail (I am also completely mortified that I have a myspace...super embarrassing! Yet, I don't delete it...weird.)

Rachel said...

Oh yeah, our excursion in the Grand Caymans was ran by Jamacans and they were very nice and fun to be around. However, I would have liked a first aid container on the boat for when the Jelly Fish tried to take my life. The vinegar held me over until I was back on the ship, but some cortosone cream and Benadryl for the allergic reaction to the poison would have been amazingly wonderful!

shell said...

wow, since this is confession time, this is embarssing, i have a myspace too!
:)

Brianna Heldt said...

Jeannett and Shelley, consider yourselves "added...."

Rachel said...

How did you know you were on your 100th post?

Rachel said...

jk, I found the post counter when I went to edit a post earlier today. Oops

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com