Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Quote of the day

"Practically anything you do will be insignificant, but it is important that you do it." Ghandi was quoted as having said that, and I found it on Erin's blog (go read her post, it is awesome.) Personally I think those are some sweet words! How often do we do stuff and yet feel discouraged because we know that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't amount to be a huge difference?

I remember feeling that way sometimes about being an at-home mom. Obviously I realized
that was important and I wouldn't have it any other way, but every once in awhile I'd wish I could do more, contribute more, etc. The primary time though that I felt this way was when
we were in Ethiopia. I stood there at AHOPE surrounded by orphans with HIV and felt overwhelmed, discouraged, and hopeless. It struck me that for every child I adopt, there are about a million more needing homes...many of them will never have one.

But isn't it so true that even if in the grand scheme of things, even though you can't change the entire world yourself, that doesn't mean you don't try, or don't do SOMETHING. Because imagine the difference you're making for that one person. And that's how change happens anyway, right?

Anyway I thought I'd share that quote with you. I'd love to know what you think about it, if there are things you feel that way about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You migh tbe interested in a new group at Yahoo. it is called findingfamiliesforthechildren@yahoogroups.com
We are a group of Christian adoptive parents who are starting adoption ministry in our churches hoping to spread the word that the church needs to open up more to this ministry. You do have the heart for this hope to see you there! ;-)

Dawn
waiting for Carissa Hope in China

Rachel said...

You didn't just change the one life, you started a chain reaction. Who knows what God has instore for your sons, their wives, their children, their children's children... not to mention the people in their life they will influence in the years ahead. We can never fully grasp the catalyst that we are in the world, whether for good or other purposes. That's as deep as I can get an hour and a half past my bed time!

Anonymous said...

Yep there is a bigger world out there...I thought this was pretty powerful...
http://www.worldonfire.ca/

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com