Tuesday, August 04, 2009

But I can't put it down


Okay so I started the book Come Be My Light last night. I have long been fascinated by Mother Teresa so I was really excited to learn more about her personal spiritual journey. My sons spent several months in one of her Missionaries of Charity orphanages in Ethiopia, so I also feel major gratitude for the work she did.

Has anyone else read this book? I seriously feel guilty about it, because all the correspondence included in it are letters she specifically told her superiors that she wanted burned, or wanted turned back over to her. Obviously things she never wanted PUBLISHED. They're thoughts she wrote to her confessors, and I kinda feel like I'm reading someone's diary! (They justified not honoring her wishes because they reasoned that her thoughts are beneficial for the Church, and wouldn't she want the Church to benefit from her life? Hmmm, doesn't seem quite right to me.)

Her heart for the Lord and willing sacrifice are truly challenging and inspiring. I look forward to reading more...but I should probably not stay up so late next time to do it. I have horrible self control when it comes to a good book!

1 comments:

Joanie said...

Precious. That is wierd that it was published without her desiring it...what can I say?

What a connection to her work with your sons' orphanage. A tangible reminder that she used her talents to bring about good. I'd like to learn more about her.

Mother Teresa became an important part of my spiritual journey when someone told me, "Even Mother Teresa with all the good works she has done can't get into Heaven without Jesus." I started to realize so much more about Grace then.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com