Monday, December 13, 2010

How do you do it: stomach flu protocol

Last Thursday my sweet Kaitlyn woke up with the stomach flu.  (Thankfully only a 24-hour bug.)  This is never something that I am too pleased about...between the laundry and the upset child and the mess, it's none too fun.  But the reality is that with five children, the stomach flu visits our home at LEAST once a year.  So I thought I would share some of our "procedures" for when one of our kiddos gets sick.


1.)  Lots of cuddling post-bath.  Especially with sweet big sisters who make you smile.  (No, I don't completely quarantine the kids when they're sick--well, except that I don't let them hold Mary.  For one thing, a full-blown quarantine would be impossible, and for another, it would be sad!)






2.)  A special sleeping spot set up in Mommy and Daddy's room.  Complete with a bedtime story...and a bucket. 






3.)  A sweet three-and-a-half-year old all ready for her story.






4.)  Reading.  (Yes, I know the aforementioned bucket is knocked over in the background.  But not to worry, not only was it empty, but it never ended up getting used.  Hooray!)






5.)  All ready for sleep!






I have to say that Kaitlyn is positively hilarious when she's sick.  She won't let us be in the bathroom with her while she's throwing up: "I want you to go out of here," she announced to me on Thursday.  So independent.  AND, incredibly brave--not once did she even cry!


I count it a great priviledge to serve my little ones when they're sick.  I want to make them feel nurtured and safe.  It's no fun having the flu, but hopefully things like jello and a special bedtime story make it all a little more bearable!



 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com