Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blogging: mundane or inspired?



Do you have a blog? 

If so, is it just as hard for you to come up with things to blog about as it is for me?

Goodness, some days (most?) I feel like I have positively nothing to say.

Maybe that's when I'm trying too hard.  I don't know.  I have to admit that when it comes to other peoples' blogs, I often prefer the mundane, random-ish posts to the more planned-out ones.

Sometimes it seems I have nothing to share.  I don't craft, my home is nothing special, and I don't like controversy enough to post my assorted opinions.  (Goodness knows I have them!)

And who is my audience, anyway?  What is my blogosphere niche?  My blog has grown considerably in the last year or so and I'd like to continue growing it.  I admittedly love blogging.  There.  I said it.

But NOT because I have grand things to say, but because it's such a wonderful way to connect, and I DO want to be available as a resource to people.  I love when I get emails asking me about:

adoption
medical needs adoption
Down syndrome
openness to life
life with a slew of kids
thrifting
historic Christianity

So maybe that's my random niche.  :)  I don't know.  But I love that we're connecting and dialoguing about important--and even some fun--stuff.

I used to see myself as an adoption blogger.

In other words, that was the main thing I'd try to blog about.

I even reflected on this somewhat recently.

But I've come to see things as much broader than that.

A huge part of my heart, to be sure, but NOT necessarily the main thing I choose to focus on.

Now don't get me wrong, I want people to adopt waiting children.  Desperately.

But the choice to pursue the adoption of a child with medical needs, or developmental delays, or who is older, does not happen in a vacuum.

No, it is the result of a complex worldview, and of hope, and of the meeting of various desires and convictions.

It's so much more dynamic and, well, living than that.

What better way to reflect the entire process than open up my life to you?

Not to mention, I want you to know me just because, and our adoption (or the receiving of the gift of any of our children), cannot be understood out of context.

So those are my ramblings for today.  All of this to say that I'm going to try and do a better job of being inspired by the simple things around me, and do more sharing about the mundane, and maybe giving little glimpses into my fun thrift store finds.  :)

And for starters, how about this:  last Sunday I was at the thrift store, and found the game Seinfeld Scene It, in mint condition, for $2.99.  Oh happy day!  I came home SO excited.  Kevin and I have already played it several times.  We are both too good for it (yes I'm bragging, because it's not too much of a challenge, being that apparently we're Seinfeld scholars), but it's FUN.  And if you live in the Denver area, you are hereby cordially invited to come over some time and lose--er, I mean, play.  :)


 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com