Friday, March 11, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday {#24}



1).  Yesterday my kids' school was only a half-day long, so we met up with Kevin for lunch, and then I got the hare-brained idea to go browse around ROSS.  You know, with the five kids.  (Yes, I take them with me to the store.  Regularly.  Good for them, good for society, slightly stressful for me but I do it anyway.)  And they were SO obnoxious.  Hyper.  Noisy.  Not listening.  Sweeping the floors with the brooms for sale.  Earlier in the afternoon I'd told them they could have Otterpops when we got home, but when we made it out to the car after our shopping was done, I told them they would NOT be getting them afterall.  And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.  By two of my older children.  However ONE of my older children was singing along to the radio within five minutes!  Because this particular child lives in the moment.  Easy come, easy go.  This can be frustrating as a parent, but it will serve him well in the future (or so I tell myself!)


2.)  Dr. Phil gets on my nerves.  And I have NO clue what made me think of him, but, there you have it.  Pop psychology and quick-fix behaviorism masquerading as help drives me batty.  So, boo to Dr. Phil, and to his show that has become increasingly sensationalistic over the years. 


3.)  Remember how I've mentioned that entertaining (aka preparing a simple meal and having people over to consume it) stresses me out?  Well, lately I've noticed it's not quite as anxiety-inducing anymore.  I'm even maybe starting to ENJOY it.  (I always enjoy the company, it's the act of having people in and figuring out a meal plan--and executing said meal plan-- that freak me out.)  Maybe because I'm just doing it more and therefore becoming more comfortable with it.  Thank goodness!


4.)  I seriously wonder what people did before the blogosphere existed as a platform for arguments and controversies.  Oh my GOODness, just this week I happened upon various blog discussions tearing apart an author and her book.  Over something extremely silly.  Sheesh!


5.)  On Wednesday, the first day of Lent, I got up at 7 am.  Per the plan.  On Thursday, I got up at 5:45 am (to get my kids to their once-a-week school program.)  And it was WAY easier getting up on Thursday.  Why?


6.)  A certain seven-year-old in my home has reached a developmental stage where she ques.tions. ev.er.y.thing.  Everything.  And I'm trying to be patient, because I know it's a phase, and so far it's not outright defiant per se, but I'm also attempting to teach her that it's disrespectful to always be challenging things or trying to negotiate with Mommy.  I'm bracing myself for the teen years!  (Sort of.  Because she is an incredibly sweet girl who I love to pieces and we have a great time together.  But the questions HAVE to STOP!)


7.)  You know that show "America's Next Great Restaurant" or whatever it's called?  We watched the first episode online, and were beaming with pride when they showed the very first Chipotle, because it's in our 'hood--literally about two minutes from my house.  That's where we go to get our burritos, peeps.  And, yes, there must really be something wrong with me to, um, feel so proud of our neighborhood fast-casual food chain.  Maybe I should have a talk with Dr. Phil...

*****

Do your QuickTakes and link to Conversion Diary!







 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com