Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I know they were trying to sell something, but really

So I saw a commercial the other day that got me thinking. Yeah, yeah, most commercials are obnoxious or ridiculous in some way, but this one really bothered me.

It was a mom talking about how she wants her teenage daughter to succeed, and all this and that, and it basically builds up to, "That's why we buy back-to-school-clothes at such-and-such store, so she can feel good about herself." Then it shows the daughter confidently walking up to a table in the cafeteria and asking some girls (maybe the "cool kids"?) if she can sit with them, and they of COURSE say yes...because look how nicely the girl is dressed!

Oh.my.goodness. Are teenage girls not already struggling enough?! They're dealing with hormones, and self-esteem, and weight issues, and who knows what else. And THIS is what we're telling them? And their parents?! "Just drop some money on nice clothes, that's what being a good mom is, and THAT'S how you equip your child for success." Lovely.

Don't get me wrong. I want my kids to thrive and to look put together and feel good about their appearance. But I can assure you that I am more concerned about instilling in them values like, God looks at the heart, and that we should be good stewards of our resources, because there are some people who don't even have enough FOOD.

Maybe a better choice for the girl would have been to, instead of seeking acceptance from the popular table, seek out some kids that maybe no one else wants to sit with. Or find friends who like her for her.

ANYway, I know I read a lot into it. But the commercial bugged me. And I have a blog, so why not get on my soapbox and share. :)

10 comments:

Jason and Anna said...

hahaha! That Wal-Mart commercial! What a crack up! I thought the very same thing. It was like telling the people watching that your child will be socially hopeless unless you buy them new clothes. Pllleaase. That commercial made me laugh. I thought her shirt wasn't all that cute either. I didn't really believe that the cool girls would actually compliment her on it. :-)

Jacquelyn said...

I dislike that commercial too ... mostly because I agree with you about finding other people that need a friend but a little bit because I think that yellow shirt she is wearing in the commercial is ugly -- shallow, I know.

Brianna Heldt said...

I KNOW, SUCH a HIDEOUS shirt! Not to mention the irony of it all being that WalMart is not all that likely to impress the kids at the cool table. :) SO glad you girls have seen it too, heehee!!!

Rachel said...

I saw it yesterday and said "Yeah, like school clothes from WalMart or going to make you feel good, maybe if were Macy's... the commercial wouldn't have been so offensive :)

Kristen Borland said...

oooo, i saw that too and had the same reaction and told mike all about it. so lame. truly sad.

Laurzie said...

Amen, sister! What bugs is that it works on them! Young minds are so impressionable, especially when you add in the insecurity issue. It makes me crazy when commercials prey on that!

Jeannett said...

Haven't seen it, but I can't help but love the irony that it's a WalMart ad...and that the very fact that we all think it's ironic that it's walmart (myself included) shows just how much even we've bought into the consumerism. But that aside, I agree with your blog post. The worst part is that I can give the ad execs a break, after all, it is their job to convince you to buy their stuff...but there really truly are (and I've seen and heard it personally) parents (moms) who really believe that the way to be a good mom is to buy, buy, buy...and who teach their little girls that looking pretty is what is supremely important. And as I don't have to point out, I'm a sucker for cute clothes as much as the next gal...I just think there is obviously more important things in life.

Brianna Heldt said...

Yes Jeannett you're so right. I totally just bought a hoodie at WalMart the other day--my kids have clothes from there too. And I'm with you on expecting that from the ad execs--I mean that IS in a sense their job. But yeah, it is sad when parents instill some of those values in their kids.

My kids are watching me constantly. I want to give them the right ideas about beauty and self-image but it's so hard! I try to make an effort not to speak critically about myself around them, but I'm sure as they grow they'll be bombarded with all the lies the world tells us.

Unknown said...

Preach it.

so wait a minute... hmmm... my kids won't be at the cool table in their hand-me-downs? oh wait again... their school lunch table is our dinner table! And...they're they coolest kids there! (the only kids there, but still) :) bwahahaha....

i'm with ya. keep bringing the goods...

oh wait again... maybe its a marketing experiment... maybe they thought 'let's pick the UGLIEST shirt, and see if we can brain wash them into thinking its cool' Whaddaya think? How many will they sell, i wonder?

Angel said...

Commercials like that make me NUTS!!! I am usually ranting to Russ about whatever commercial has me all hot and bothered. LOL!! :0) Angel

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com