Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 22


Many people are very, very concerned with the children of India, with the children of Africa where quite a few die of hunger, and so on. Many people are also concerned about all the violence in this great country of the United States. These concerns are very good. But often these same people are not concerned with the millions who are being killed by deliberate decision.....And this is what is the greatest destroyer of peace today - abortion which brings people to such blindness.

And for this I appeal in India and I appeal everywhere - "Let us bring the child back." The child is God's gift to the family. Each child is created in the special image and likeness of God for greater things - to love and to be loved. In this year of the family we must bring the child back to the center of our care and concern. This is the only way that our world can survive because our children are the only hope for the future.

----Mother Teresa


I did not want the anniversary of Roe v. Wade to pass without saying something.  Or, rather, without sharing the words of someone far wiser and much more eloquent than myself.

I won't apologize or give any disclaimers for posting these words.  I won't say "I don't mean to get political, but...", or "I hate to be controversial, but...", because I think we're way too polite about the tragedies taking place in our very own neighborhoods every.single.day.    It's not primarily about politics.  But, it is controversial--we all should be highly uncomfortable about this.

It feels hopeless sometimes, but the millions of children murdered each year do not go unseen.  Nor are they unloved or unwanted.  Because they have a Father who loves beyond measure, whose very heart grieves for each and every precious little one whose life is lost.

A solemn day to be sure, marking 38 years since the passage of Roe v. Wade.  But...there is hope.  Hope in a God who is loving, merciful, and just.  And hope in a church that pursues justice and loves mercy and humbly restores dignity to the least of these.

May we too count ourselves among those who will not be afraid to speak out about abortion and the devastating effect it is having on women, children, and the very fabric of our world.

And while I have always considered myself unapologetically pro-life, I have to tell you that pursuing the adoption of two children with Down syndrome has brought this issue much, much closer to home.  If you don't understand why, all I can say is that over 90% of babies with Down syndrome in our country are aborted.  How God's heart must hurt.  And so I pray that mine continues to hurt, too.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com