Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy V-Day

Okay so I totally stole this blogpost idea from my friend Lisa. :) Anyhow it's Valentines Day and I thought I'd post some old pictures of Kevin and I when we were dating/engaged. Hee, hee. We have had some fun over the last six years or so that we've known each other. Back then we were just two Cal Poly students that happened to meet at college group at church, but before long we were inseparable. Both of us knew pretty early on we wanted to marry each other--in fact, looking back our only regret actually is not getting married sooner!
The (above) pic to the left was taken while we were dating at Kevin's childhood church. Below that we are engaged attending one of the dinners I used to have to go to for my job with Abel Maldonado--college kids love free food...okay I still do! The scary one of us masquerading as aggies was taken at the Grace Church college group ho-down the year we were engaged. Note Kev's homemade belt-buckle which I believe reads "Handyman Special." And the final picture was taken at Christmastime that same year--gotta love my ghetto college apartment.



I'm so glad that I married Kevin. I (and the Gibsons!) always hear people warning against marrying young (I was 20, Kevin was 21 when we got married) because you don't know who you're going to be yet, your interests might change, etc. Well, some of that is true. Kevin and I have both changed quite a bit since June 22, 2002, but the Lord has brought us along TOGETHER and knit our hearts closer and closer to one another. He has taken our passions and ideas and values and changed/grown them together. Back in 2002 neither of us felt a strong calling to adopt children, to advocate for Africa, or to have four children within five years of marriage. We found who we wanted to marry pretty early on, followed God's leading and now here we are. God has moved and stirred both our hearts in new, but the same direction these last four-plus years--what a blessing! Three great kids, one on the way, lots of great memories and hopefully some more of those on the way, too! All of that to say, love and marriage are pretty sweet. We certainly don't have life all figured out and who knows where God will take us next but I'm so glad that we get to do it together!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I saw that first picture and thought, "Mike and I have a picture with those same flowers in the background!" Then I read the post, we were there and of course we do! I think I still married young (23) but Mike didn't (26) and I an super grateful for that! Or is 26 still young for a man to marry? I cannot keep up! Happy Valentine's Day.

There was a bake sale at Mike's work today and he came home with a chocolate cake, chocolate covered pretzels, and frosted sugar cookies. The joke was on him. I had made pancakes and bacon for dinner!

Oddly I was going through pictures of Mike and I while we were engaged this week too. I guess I just wanted to see myself skinny again!!!

Anonymous said...

You made me think back to when Marty and I were first dating. One day, we were driving around and we passed the place where we met. Marty said, "If I had told you that day we met that we were going to married, have adopted 2 kids and have one on the way 3 years later, what would you have said?" I replied that I would have told him he was crazy and to please step away. Now we are five years down the road and we have three kids with the 4th on the way. You can almost hear God laughing when you make your own plan because His plan is the one you will end up following.

Brianna Heldt said...

Haha, as long as we're all friends Andy I guess we will all hold each other accountable for remembering our respective anniversaries!

lcm0709 said...

My husband and I have been married 9 years this May. Everyone said we were nuts. We were but we were right -- we knew we were meant for each other. We are nothing like we were then but we have traveled the long and winding road of life trusting God's guiding hand -- He led us to places, ideas, and desires of the heart that we never imagined or thought of; he set before us challenges and trials that many walk away from. Age is not the issue; it is the commitment to each other and the One Who made us. God bless your family.

Jeannett said...

Nice pink fuzzy slippers in that last photo by the way...

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com