Friday, February 02, 2007

Funny things are everywhere...

That is a line from "One Fish Two Fish" by Dr. Seuss. Do you ever have one of those days where all sorts of amusing things happen? I've had people tell me I'm easily amused before, and I guess I really am. So here are some anecdotes from my day that gave me a good laugh.

1.) This afternoon I had my weekly OB/GYN appointment. Found out I am TWO POUNDS heavier this week than last week. HAHAHA!



2.) After my appointment I went across the street to the hospital to pre-register for the baby's birth. First I encountered a particularly senile hospital volunteer at the front desk who had a hard time grasping that I needed to pre-register or something. After he finally directed me to the right place (the ER), and I filled out the forms, the woman helping me (also a volunteer, though not senile) started telling me if I have any questions to call Labor and Delivery, and when I go into labor to go there and I'll be admitted. "Oh wait," she said, "actually there is going to be a bunch of construction going on so I don't know how you'll get in." I fully laughed out loud and told her I'd find a way in "somehow." Cracked me up, picturing myself in the throes of labor frantically trying to find my way into the hospital through all of the construction!



3.) After an uneventful visit to the lab to have some blood drawn for hemoglobin or something, I visited the infamous Santa Maria post office to mail off our adoption finalization documents. The line was long and I happened to be standing in front of a man probably in his mid-forties, well-dressed, African American, talking on his cell phone to someone and wondering if they'd called him earlier. They must have said no, because he said, "But it shows a private number called my phone, on February 2nd, 2006. Guess I'll have to find out more to figure out who called." Apparently neither of them picked up on the year. (This struck me as amusing at the time, I don't know why!)



4.) After paying and mailing my papers, as I was walking out of the post office, the same man who'd been behind me in line, also apparently leaving the post office, said "Excuse me, ma'am?" I turned around and said "Yes?" (Now what I am about to say is NOT me patting myself on the back, or bragging, or anything weird and egotistical like that. It was just plain hilarious and oh so blog worthy.) He then proceeded to tell me he thought I was the "prettiest pregnant lady" he'd seen. HAHAHA! "I wasn't going to say anything, and I'm not hitting on you, I just had to tell you..." Heehee! Oh this was just too, too much. Funny thing was, he was really nice and respectful and WASN'T creepy. Then he asked when I was due, what we were having, a boy or a girl, and said congratulations. I told him it makes a pregnant lady feel good to hear such a nice compliment and told him to have a good day. (He drove off in a minivan so I'm assuming he's probably married with kids himself.) At any rate, I figure that balanced out both my previous post office experience AND my two pounds in a week weight gain. I had a great laugh about this pretty much the whole way home--how random.



5.) Finally, tonight, I was changing Yosef's diaper in the family room and Anna was sitting playing with her toys. "Look Mommy!" she says excitedly. I look up to find, well, THIS creation in her hand! Kenya Barbie meets Superman. (Anna fell on Kenya Barbie a few months ago and the head snapped off. So apparently now she is improvising.) This just made my day. I think she will be known around our home as "Kenya Superwoman."

11 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

you're down right hillarious! i say that a lot, but it's so true. i love that you get so amused by things. and i love that you share them with us! :) your post office experience (both the date and the compliment) was awesome...and such an improvement from the last time!

keep on keeping on... :)

Kristen Borland said...

by the way, i'm so ignorant with all things "blog", so could you explain to me why i have to sometimes do the word verification part 2 or even 3 times before it will post my comment?

i am so going to start my own blog. i just have one hang up: what would i call it?

shelly said...

love the Kenya Superwoman...I have to admit I was looking at the first picture at the top with Anna in it and I noticed the doll and I was wondering where in the world did they find a superwoman man.. I thought this was a special doll that you found in your travels....Ha ha..then I read the rest and it all makes perfect sense now(smile)...Anna should trademark this

Jeannett said...

I too noticed the doll in the first picture and thought "what on earth is that thing? Kinda creepy..." But it's funny now...after all, I've seen headless Kenya Barbie make an appearance at the Heldt household and now, Super Kenyawoman! Does Superman also have a missing head or is it just stuffed up inside the Kenya head?

The Brothers said...

Ohmigosh - that's too funny! "Kenya" looks a lot like Baby Keziah over on Sprit of Adoption's blog! Ever been over there? James127.blogspot.com? She has some cute kids, too...

Lisa Leonard said...

You are a beautiful pregnant lady!

K said...

I am way too easily amused quite often also. I can see why you laughed at all the things you mentioned. Some days I will just hear a song on the radio, and the way the singer is singing (so seriously) will just crack me up. Lots and lots of other things too

Brianna Heldt said...

Kristen, I also have to do the word verification a few times sometimes. And I have no clue why I'm afraid. :(

Jeannett, the Superman head is indeed stuffed up inside. I have no clue what prompted Anna to stick Barbie's head on Superman, but it is downright frightening. (Of course so is the headless Barbie body that moves its way around our home!)

Rachel said...

My comments keep getting lost in cyber space on your site. Errr. This was a fun read. I like Kenya Super Girl!

Avery said...

you were hit on by a prego chaser!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is SO funny, thanks for sharing! Especially the hospital construction... I frequently have "mental movies" running though my head that are SUPER funny and I burst out laughing like a crazy person!! Hey... maybe that is why people steer clear of us in public? And I always thought it was the screaming-deaf-boy and his sidekick, four-eyes!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com