Tuesday, February 27, 2007

So if you're at the OB/GYN...

and you're lying flat on your back having fetal heart monitoring done...

and they leave the room for several minutes...

and you start feeling light-headed and dizzy...

and you think you're going to throw up...

and you get overheated and your face gets really clammy...

and you're about to pass out...

and you manage to look over and see that your baby's heart rate has dropped EXTREMELY low...

Then you would be me today. Yes indeed, I had a bit of an "episode" at the doctor's. Turns out there's some huge artery between your uterus and spine, and if you're lying on your back and your baby decides to lay just right, it can press on the artery and cause your blood pressure to either sky-rocket or drop really, really low. Mine dropped really low. It was extremely scary, I had no clue what was going on. The girl came to check on me and hurried out to get the nurse practitioner, who then had me roll onto my side and I started feeling better, and the baby's heart rate went back up. THEN I had to be hooked up to the monitor for several more minutes so they could monitor the baby's "recovery."

Shouldn't they warn patients about this when they have them laying on their back unattended for so long during a test like this? And who is this kid, trying to cut off my blood supply?!

Other than that, I'm good. :) My revised due date based on ultrasound has always been March 8th, which is mathematically too late because of when I got a positive pregnancy test result. Between February 19th and March 5th is the right window I think. SO it should be soon, though I've been saying that for awhile. The nurse today said the baby is probably about six pounds now.

So that is all. Thankful things are okay and that I've got a rockin' husband who's willing to work from (our crazy) home, greet me with a big hug when I come through the door, feed the kids lunch and put them down for naps, and make me a quesadilla when I'm hungry. He makes everything all better!!!

10 comments:

Rachel said...

That's scary!!! I tend to wake up sleeping on my back, and it concerned me during my first pregnancy. My doctor assured me I would wake up before doing any real damage, but when you are stuck on your back and hooked up to machines... Hopefully the little one will be born before your next appointment!

Anonymous said...

I worry about that at night as I tend to sleep on my back. But what a good husband you have.

gracie :) said...

I'm on pins and needles waiting for your little one to be born! I check your blog several times throughout the day to see if the moment has come. I guess you are the current "reality show" because we've never even met! Hope you are "delivered" soon. I know your other tykes are anxious for the arrival of their new sibling.

Jeannett said...

That is totally scary! You poor thing! Dr. McGhie is a nice guy, but for my last appointment, they had me strip down to one of those paper robes...and then I sat in that cold room with no magazines, for over an HOUR before he showed up in the room. And, being that I was essentially nude, it wasn't like I could really go out there and ask what was taking so long! Anyway, I'm bummed that happened to you...hopefully she'll come out and meet us soon, I seriously check your blog 5 times a day!

Brianna Heldt said...

Yeah Jeannett they are just SO busy there. There's a doctor shortage in Santa Maria and I think any office that takes MediCal/WIC is pretty much always swamped. Sometimes McGhie's is real quiet but all too often it is a madhouse. Yesterday for example, I had a 10 am appt. and they didn't call me back until 10:50! (That's horrible you had to wait so long naked, ugh, that is SO the WORST!!!)

To the other commenters, yeah I wouldn't worry about waking up on your back, etc. Trust me, your body will tell you if there is a problem and your instinct of course is to switch positions. However, I was trying to remain on my back b/c of the stuff strapped to me and the test, and I thought I was just getting sick or something. Now I know for the future!

Kristen Borland said...

As some one who had to do those stress tests a LOT in my pregnancy with Hemi, I feel for you! Thankfully all was okay for you. And aren't husbands the best?!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I am not the only one "stalking" your blog to find if you had your baby!

I hope you don't have to wait much longer!!

June Bowlin

Jenn said...

Hmm your physician/cnm should've told you this sometime during your preg. wonder what's up with them? :-) working in ob in a hospital setting we always harped on our moms to not lie on their back's for the very reason you described.

i keep checking in you see if the bebe' has been born... thinking of you...

Ginger said...

That is scary. I keep checking in too, anxious to hear the news and see pictures of your baby girl. Maybe all this waiting now means that the painful part will go fast.

Shana said...

Brianna,

I keep checking in daily, to see how you're doing. I am praying for you regularly, too.

Blessings,

Shana

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com