Thursday, November 20, 2008

Better Living Through TV...


Unfortunately, when I'm sick, I rarely want to read. Normally I LOVE to read, but when my head's pounding and I don't feel well, I much prefer to watch TV. So this week I've been getting caught up.

Too bad there's never anything good on! We don't have cable or satellite, though we DO have a little antenna so we pull in some stations, like the major networks, FOX, the CW, and PBS.

I think I'm maybe just not a TV person in general. There are certain stations I know I could get really into, like HGTV and probably some news/history-type channels, but other than that...yeah, not so much. There are apparently all these shows on the networks that I literally have NO clue about. Are people watching them? I'm only 27 and I have no idea what's popular. Basically I'm totally caught in the '90s when it comes to TV. The only current show I watch is The Office. I also love some of the old shows, like "I Love Lucy" and yes, "The Honeymooners." (Laughing out loud picturing Ralph, as the "chef of the future" and Ed doing their live infomercial..."Yes, it can core a apple"...that's what that picture is from. And the only one I could find had lame writing on it, oh well!)

And really, what on earth is the deal with these flashy, mind-numbing Inside Edition and Extra-type shows? The other night I wanted to crawl through the TV and ask Miley Cyrus, who the heck IS Hannah Montana anyway (an alter ego? fictional character? result of a multiple personality disorder?), and why is it that every time I see you I can't get "Achy Breaky Heart" out of my head?!

The older I get, the more I realize I am a big, huge nerd. Pop culture drives me crazy. I am going to be that really un-cool mom that has no idea what my kids' friends are talking about. (Okay, I probably already am, since I have no idea about popular kids' shows either.) I'm like a grouchy 80-year-old in a 27-year-old's body! Maybe I need to locate my Abnormal Psychology textbook and make some sort of diagnosis....

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I like Hannah Montana, the show, although major cheesey. I watched it when I was nursing all the live long day. It was a safe channel to have on for Aubrey that wasn't going to have anything profane on it. Anyway, Hannah Montana is her stage name where she wears a wig. She is Miley at school and a total nerd (although beautiful). She wanted to have a "normal" childhood so her father came up with Hannah Montana.

I can give you a heads up on what's in and you can tell me profound truth that you read about. :)

Jeannett said...

You may not know what your kid's friends are watching, but you certainly know what they are READING! Ha! :)

Marissa said...

I'm right there with you. We don't have television either and I have NO IDEA what's popular. I'm a complete geek and I've learned to accept that. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com