Friday, May 23, 2008

"Children are Starving Again in Ethiopia"


What do you do with something like this? When I see that three year old little girl, I see what could have been my sons--my sons--were it not for God's hand in sending them to Missionaries of Charity and AAI. Stuff like this breaks my heart in general, but especially in Ethiopia, for obvious reasons.


Then I think about the values I want to pass on to my kids, and since moving to a larger area I'm hoping to be able to find more things second-hand, and to spend less on (healthy) groceries. I don't want to be frugal for the sake of being frugal, as if it's a virtue in and of itself, but God has given us a lot, and some people have nothing, and I think He wants us to share. It's a hard balance to find, enjoying the blessings God's given you to enjoy vs. giving money away to people who, without it, literally starve to death.


Anyway I wanted to share this recent news from Ethiopia. The photo is hard to look at and the story is hard to read, but it's real, and it's happening, and the crazy thing is that you or I could get on a plane today and go see it for ourselves. PLEASE think about how you might help a hungry child somewhere in the world today. I can't help everyone, and you can't help everyone, and our government can't help everyone, but each of us can help someone.
(And if you want ideas on how to help, please ask!)

4 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

okay, i'm asking!

darci said...

I dn't know what to do. we just watched the wototo children;s choir (uganda). I came home just wondering how many of us is God really calling to comfortable middle-class lives?? I want to make sure I'm LISTENING to Him. we are adopting from Ethiopia-just finishing our homestudy. I wonder how I will respond to BEING there, seeing face to face, life. we often talk about this..
ps oh, and we are prob adopting two (we have three now). tell me i'm not completely insane! :) darci

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've visited your blog. I have lots of catching up to do. I am glad you also blogged about this article. It is a message and a call that needs to be heard by all.

JaneeNoel said...

That article made me cry. Thanks for sharing it. . . we need to be more aware of this type of thing.

As nauseating as it seems to mention this in the same breath, have you discovered Sunflower Market? Great prices - lots of health foods and fresh produce. I thought of it since you mentioned eating healthier and saving money. I do all my shopping there pretty much.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com